Sure, putting on sunscreen sounds easy. Slap a bit on your hands and rub it round your face and body, right?
Well, …not quite. To get the the best out of your sunscreen you need to take a little bit of care when you put it on. Here are our top tips for perfect sunscreen application.
- For daily use, when you’re going out to the shops or the office, apply your sunscreen as you would a normal moisturiser. Oasis Sun SPF 30 also makes a great primer for make up, so put it on before any other make up you’re planning to wear.
- Pay attention around the eyes. According to research this is the area we are most likely to miss when applying sunscreen, it is also the place where 5% to 10% of all skin cancers occur.
- Don’t skimp. Many of us don’t put on enough sunscreen. We recommend a 50-cent-sized splodge just for the face. For the whole body you should be using the equivalent of seven teaspoons or a shot glass, depending on how you like to measure things.
- Apply to all bare skin, so that includes those often forgotten areas like tops of ears, tops of feet and back of neck. Bright red, burnt ears are not a good look.
- With your Oasis sunscreen, don’t keep rubbing it in. Leave a thin layer visible on your skin and you will notice that over a few minutes it will disappear as it adheres to the skin.
- Plan ahead. Put your sunscreen on at least 20 minutes before you go out in the sun, don’t leave it till you get to the beach.
- Once out in the sun, reapply every two hours and after swimming.